The share of Belgian export of agro-food produce that goes to the neighbouring countries of France, the Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom is 67%. The entire EU-28 represents 90% of Belgian export. The remaining 10% is destined for third countries. Algeria, Saudi-Arabia and China are the top three export destinations outside Europe.
That is the total export value of Belgian fresh produce. The most popular Belgian products abroad are dairy produce, potatoes, fruit & vegetables; beef & pork and horticultural products.
In Flanders, just over half the surface area is taken up by agriculture and horticulture. The greater majority of that is used for fodder crops and arable crops including potatoes. Other sectors have far more intensive production, for example the cultivation of fruit & vegetables in glasshouses, egg farming or pig farming.
New Hydrangea and ecological strawberry win at the FLORALL awards
On 12 March, the FLORALL trade fair was held in Waregem. There is also a competition for novelties connected to the trade fair. The Hydrangea ‘Runaway Bride’ by tree nursery Willy De Nolf from Waregem won the gold medal in the ‘varieties’ category. In the ‘concepts’ category, the ‘Berroo Pure’ by Dataflor from Zonnebeke won with a completely ecological strawberry plant product.
A more sustainable fruit and vegetable sector: Belgian cooperatives rise to the challenge
Sustainable development is a dynamic and very topical subject: it affects us today, tomorrow and also into the future. The cooperative fruit and vegetable sector, wants to further improve its sustainability.
VBT President, Rita Demaré rolled out the VBT’s renewed sustainability strategy on 7 February 2019 at the Fruit Logistica trade show in Berlin. The collective quality label Responsibly Fresh remains a way for people to identify fruit and vegetables which have been produced with a concern for sustainability. The new slogan ‘Goodness by nature’ emphasises the fact that the products, which are healthy by nature, are grown with the minimum impact on the environment.
Global meat consumption on the increase
The total meat consumption in Europe is rising. Pork and poultry collectively represent 80% of the total meat consumption and their share is growing. It is expected that meat consumption will still be rising slightly in 2018, mainly owing to poultry, and that it will then start to stagnate.
Belgium offers a wide range of fresh produce if you wish to buy top quality. The favourable climate, fertile soil, the craftsmanship of the growers and ultramodern systems for production, sale and quality control undoubtedly have something to do with this. Add the suppliers’ personal service and its central location, easy to access, and it’s clear why Belgian fresh produce is loved the world over.
On Freshfrombelgium.com, VLAM, Flanders’ Agricultural Marketing Board, wants to put Belgian suppliers of fresh produce in touch with foreign importers. To this end we above all use a product-oriented approach, using a whole range of specialised product websites that fall under the umbrella of freshfrombelgium.com, such as for example belgianmeat.com, belgianplants.com, belgianfruitsandvegetables.com, belgianpotatoes.com, belgianpoultry.com and belgiandairy.com.About Fresh from Belgium