The share of Belgian export of agro-food produce that goes to the neighbouring countries of France, the Netherlands, Germany and the United Kingdom is 68%. The entire EU-28 represents 89% of Belgian export. The remaining 11% is destined for third countries. China, the United States and Algeria are the top three export destinations outside Europe.
That is the total export value of Belgian fresh produce. The most popular Belgian products abroad are dairy produce, potatoes, fruit & vegetables; beef & pork and horticultural products.
In Flanders, almost half the surface area is taken up by agriculture and horticulture. The greater majority of that is used for fodder crops and arable crops including potatoes. Other sectors have far more intensive production, for example the cultivation of fruit & vegetables in glasshouses, egg farming or pig farming.
Belgian fishermen help combat waste at sea
The Belgian fishermen are committed to the fight against waste at sea. Within the framework of the international 'Fishing for litter' project, they take the waste on land that they collect during fishing. Previously, the waste was thrown back into the sea. The fishing fleet is provided with large garbage bags to use on board. When they return to the port, they can leave the garbage bags behind for processing and recycling.
Belgium at IPM Essen 2020 (28-31/01/2020)
IPM Essen is the annual pinnacle for the international horticultural sector. Belgium has been a participant since the beginning and in 2020 is unveiling a new stand concept and a new campaign image: a combination of design & cosy, playful & stylish, and above all a welcoming place to meet where the Flemish companies can receive their trade relations. A strong delegation of 39 Flemish exhibitors will be present this year at the group stand of the VLAM, Flanders’ Agricultural Marketing Board. You can find them in hall 2 (stands B25 + D26 and 30), hall 6 (stand C26) and hall 8 (stands C42 and D25, 26, 28 and 30).
Belgium offers a wide range of fresh produce if you wish to buy top quality. The favourable climate, fertile soil, the craftsmanship of the growers and ultramodern systems for production, sale and quality control undoubtedly have something to do with this. Add the suppliers’ personal service and its central location, easy to access, and it’s clear why Belgian fresh produce is loved the world over.
On Freshfrombelgium.com, VLAM, Flanders’ Agricultural Marketing Board, wants to put Belgian suppliers of fresh produce in touch with foreign importers. To this end we above all use a product-oriented approach, using a whole range of specialised product websites that fall under the umbrella of freshfrombelgium.com, such as for example belgianmeat.com, belgianplants.com, belgianfruitsandvegetables.com, belgianpotatoes.com, belgianpoultry.com and belgiandairy.com.About Fresh from Belgium